Gerald Fortney Memorial Scholarship
About the Scholarship
The Gerald Fortney Memorial Scholarship was established in 1985 by Lanco Federal Credit Union’s Board of Directors in memory of Mr. Fortney, Lanco FCU’s founding CEO and an educator in the Hempfield School District. To honor Mr. Fortney’s passion for the business field of education, the $2,000 scholarship is granted annually to a student who is planning to earn a bachelor’s degree in a business-related field of study.
- Applicant must be a member of the current graduating class and must be a Lanco FCU member, or the child/in legal custody of a Lanco FCU member, in good standing.
- Applicant must have been accepted at an accredited institution and be planning to earn a bachelor’s degree in a business-related field.
- Applicant must have demonstrated a willingness to be of service to the community and a mature and respectful attitude toward peers and teachers.
Selection and Awarding Process
A scholarship committee, comprised of members of Lanco FCU’s Board of Directors, will review the applications. Video applications, school records, community and school service, and teacher recommendations will all be considered in determining the award recipient. Demonstrated financial need may also be considered. Interviews may be conducted with finalists.
The scholarship winner will be selected and notified no later than June 30, 2017, and the award will be made after the fall semester has begun. The scholarship winner will be announced to Lanco FCU membership in the Membership Matters newsletter and at lancofcu.com.
To apply, submit the following by April 1, 2017:
- The completed Gerald Fortney Memorial Scholarship Application.
- A statement written by the student outlining areas of service to the school and community.
- Two recommendation forms completed by a classroom teacher.
- Official high school transcript.
- A video application, 2-5 minutes in length, about one of the following topics:
- What credit union membership means to me
- How credit unions can attract youth members
- The history of credit unions
Combine items 1-4 in one envelope and send to:
GFM Scholarship Committee
Lanco Federal Credit Union
349 West Roseville Road
Lancaster, PA 17601
To submit the video application:
E-mail the video, or a link to it (ex: your video on YouTube), to email@example.com
Do you need help financing your education? Lanco FCU offers Private Student Loans.